Thursday, May 31, 2012

Reading List - Summer

I have been reading - a lot - lately. All terribly practical stuff that relates to the thesis. All as yummy as congealed, unsweetened oatmeal.

So, I polled my friends and compiled a list of summer reading:
Burroughs, Augusten (2012). This is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude, & More. For Young and Old Alike. St. Martin Press: New York, NY.
Duhigg, Charles (2012). The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and in Business. Random House: New York, NY.

Gaiman, Neil (2001). American Gods (have this scheduled as an audiobook for the road trip on Monday) 
Gladwell, Malcom (2005). Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking. New York: Little, Brown. 
Hobb, Robin (2012). City of Dragons: Vol. 3 of The Rain Wilds Chronicles. Harper Voyager: New York, NY. 
Lackey, Mercedes (2012) Redoubt: Book Four of the Collegium Chronicles. DAW --- yes --- I KNOW it isn't due out until October 2... but there is seriously that much anticipation... Did I mention I am a Mercedes Lackey fangirl?? So totally.  
McCaffrey, Anne and Todd McCaffrey (2012). Sky Dragons: Dragonriders of Pern. Del Rey - Due out June 26!!!! Kiddo and I have made it a summer tradition to listen to Pern stories in the evening instead of TV. He colors or builds with Legos, and I knit while listening to someone read us a story :) This is joy. 
Tan, Amy (2011). Rules for Virgins. Byliner: San Francisco, CA. 
Tolle, Eckhart (1999). The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment. Namaste Publishing: Vancouver, BC. 
Rubin, Gretchen (2009). The Happiness Project. HarperCollins: New York, NY. (Not really suggested, but a friend is reading it, and it is about time to revisit it.)
Pretty solid mix... I'm pleased with it. Mom got a Nook for Christmas, so I'm pretty sure her stash of trashy romance paperbacks have about disappeared. That is a bit sad, but if I get through this list, maybe I can borrow her Nook :)

Rule #1: Be Me - this means I need to do the things that bring me joy - voracious reading, knitting, building home with Kiddo, being present to the joy in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment