Monday, May 28, 2012

Perspective on Memorial Day

On Memorial Day, we are called to remember those who loved their country more than selves - to set an empty place at table for the service men and women who will never come home again. To remember their families left behind to pick up the parts and pieces of their lives - and carry on.

Mrs. Cathey sleeping next to her husband the night before his funeral.
Todd Heisler/Rocky Mountain News - 2005

In her recent New York Times article, Burana describes this image as only a military wife can - and it is the stuff of nightmares. I was one of the lucky military wives. I soldiered through deployments and through non-accompanied tours. I never had to send my husband off to war. Even as a child, when my dad left for war, I don't think I really understood that he could die "over there" - just that my dad was gone.

As an adult - even with all the issues and heartache of my marriage - I can thank God I was never in the position of Mrs. Cathey and her unborn child. For sparing me and my family, thank you to all the soldiers who faced this ultimate sacrifice and were willing to die to protect my country and my family. Thank you, Mrs. Cathey and all the families who are carrying the cost of that sacrifice.

The empty place at my table tonight is only symbolic. I remember your sacrifice. I am grateful for your sacrifice. You are remembered.

Peace be with you and yours this night.

No comments:

Post a Comment